Evliyâ Çelebi mentions the existence of two dervish lodges in Athens. One of them is the Hüseyin Effendi Dervish Lodge, located directly opposite the entrance to the Acropolis. After this lodge, which disappeared without a trace, the number of dervish lodges increased to at least five. The one opposite the Fethiye Mosque was used as a Catholic church for a long time after Athens left Turkish rule and was demolished during the excavation of the Agora. According to Travlos' plan, the dervish lodge is a small square-planned, domed building to the northwest of the Fethiye Mosque. In his photograph from 1895, it is understood that there is a space to the left of the domed structure. J. Spon and G. Wheler, who visited Athens in 1675-76, anonymously report that there was a dervish lodge opposite the Fethiye Mosque and that there was a marketplace a little further on.
Atina, Tekke
Athens, Lodge
| Country | Greece |
| City | Atina |
| Built Year | 1400 |
| Converted | 1833 |
| Demolished | - |
| Architect/Patron | Unknown |
| Book Page | p.914 |
| Sources |
|
Photos
Gallery ready
Athens, Lodge — R.19.40
Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)
R.19.40
Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 3 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 3, p. 70
YTB Publications, 2023
Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.
Figure references in the book
R.19.40