Located in the very center of the city, Komotini Namazgâh Cemetery was expropriated by the Greek state in 1946. The cemetery, which was sheltered and well-maintained, was first forbidden for burial, and then a park and a church were built on it without allowing the graves to be transferred. Today, in the park overlooking the city square (Platia), there is the Sword Monument, which has become the symbol of Komotini, and the park and the church of St. Nicholas in it are still active.
Gümülcine Namazgâhı
Open Prayer Space (Namazgah) in Komotini
| Country | Greece |
| City | Gümülcine |
| Built Year | - |
| Converted | 1946 |
| Demolished | - |
| Architect/Patron | Unknown |
| Book Page | p.1072 |
| Sources |
|
Photos
Gallery ready
Open Prayer Space (Namazgah) in Komotini — R.19.163
Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)
R.19.163
Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 3 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 3, p. 228
YTB Publications, 2023
Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.
Figure references in the book
R.19.163