Evliyâ Çelebi, who came to Nagykanizsa in 1664, states that there are 3 mosques and 3 masjids in Topraklık Suburban, and adds that Ayazma Masjid has a crowded congregation. The Ayazma Masjid, which was built entirely of wood, was consecrated in the name of the Virgin Mary on 23 June 1692 and converted into a church with the end of Turkish domination in Nagykanizsa. The church, which was used until 1702, was abandoned after this date.
Kanije, Ayazma Mescidi
Nagykanizsa, Ayazma Masjid
| Country | Hungary |
| City | Kanije |
| Built Year | 1500 |
| Converted | 1692 |
| Demolished | - |
| Architect/Patron | Unknown |
| Book Page | p.486 |
| Sources |
|
Photos
Gallery ready
Nagykanizsa, Ayazma Masjid — R.13.54
Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)
R.13.54
Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 2 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 2, p. 89
YTB Publications, 2023
Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.
Figure references in the book
R.13.54