Sudak, Kale Câmii

Sudak, Castle Mosque

Demolished
CountryUkraine
CitySudak
Built Year1200
Converted1373
Demolished-
Architect/PatronKastamonu Beyi Hüsâmeddin Çoban Husameddin Choban, Beg of Kastamonu
Book Pagep.840
Sources
  • - Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri, s.840
  • - Aslanapa 1979: 117, Dlujnevskaya vd. 2006: 97, Evliyâ Çelebi 7/555, Kançal- Ferrari 2014: 141-160, Kırımlı vd. 2016: 762-773, Zharykov 1983: 2/296-297

Photos

Gallery ready
Sudak, Castle Mosque — R.18.41

Sudak, Castle Mosque — R.18.41

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.18.41

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 2 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 2, p. 449

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Figure references in the book

R.18.41

Eni-kale is located 10 km east of the historical city of Kerch, on the coast and in the Akinti Burnu locality. In 1702 a large and fortified fortress was to be built to protect the Kerch Strait. The construction of this castle, which will be called Eni-kale, started in 1703. It is understood that the completion of all the fortifications and outbuildings took until 1710. A garrison consisting of Ottoman and Crimean Tatar soldiers was serving in the fortress. Eni-kale was occupied by the Russian army under the command of Vasily Mikhailovich Dolgorukov in 1771. In the 1790s, three barracks and various dwellings for officers were built inside Yenikale, which was heavily repaired and fortified under Russian rule. The Kale Mosque was demolished and the Church of the “Resurrection of the Virgin Mary” (Uspenie Bogoroditsı) was built in its place in 1799. A hospital built at the beginning of the XIXth century and some other buildings were added to these. When Eni-kale was under Russian domination, three mosques or masjids in the suburban settlement on the Kerch Gate side of the castle were also destroyed. Again, Orthodox church, called the Resurrection of the Virgin Mary, was established in place of the one with a dome and minaret, which is closest to Yenikale. This church, which was largely destroyed during World War II, does not exist today.

This digital map visualizes data inspired by Mehmet Emin Yılmaz’s three-volume work Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches. The source work was published by YTB Publications (2023) and made accessible through the YTB Digital Culture Platform.

Author reference: Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin).

Built & developed by Cüneyt Kaya in Kornwestheim.