Londar, Sultan II. Bayezid Câmii Minâresi

Leontari, Minaret of Sultan II. Bayezid Mosque

Church
CountryGreece
CityMora
Built Year1500
Converted-
Demolished-
Architect/PatronSultan II. Bayezid
Book Pagep.1180
Sources
  • - Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri, s.1180
  • - Evliyâ Çelebi 8/330, Kiel-Alexander 2020: 281, Louvi-Kizi 2011: 99-114

Photos

Gallery ready
Leontari, Minaret of Sultan II. Bayezid Mosque — R.19.246

Leontari, Minaret of Sultan II. Bayezid Mosque — R.19.246

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.19.246

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 3 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 3, p. 336

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Leontari, Minaret of Sultan II. Bayezid Mosque — R.19.247

Leontari, Minaret of Sultan II. Bayezid Mosque — R.19.247

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.19.247

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 3 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 3, p. 336

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Figure references in the book

R.19.246R.19.247

The town of Londar (Leontari) is located 40 km southeast of Tripoli in the Peloponnese. Evliyâ Çelebi briefly mentioned the town by saying that "there is a Sultan Bayezid-i Velî Mosque, which was converted from a church, and it has a madrasah, a dervish lodge, a school, an inn, eight shops and a small bathhouse, and there are no other buildings." After the town, which was the center of the Peloponnesian despotism, came under Ottoman rule for the second time, the Church of the Holy Apostles here was converted into a mosque in the name of Sultan Bayezid II, as in the Coron Castle, and a minaret was built in the northeast corner of the work. After the Peloponnesian revolt in 1828, the minaret of the building, which was converted back into a church, was demolished down to its base and a simple four-legged bell tower was built on it. Two engravings dated 1870 and 1875 show this bell tower. The bell tower, which was renewed several times in the following years, was removed during the repair in 2008.

This digital map visualizes data inspired by Mehmet Emin Yılmaz’s three-volume work Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches. The source work was published by YTB Publications (2023) and made accessible through the YTB Digital Culture Platform.

Author reference: Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin).

Built & developed by Cüneyt Kaya in Kornwestheim.