Kavala, Kurudere Köyü Câmii

Kavala, Paleos Xerias Mosque

Church
CountryGreece
CityKavala
Built Year1840
Converted1924
Demolished-
Architect/PatronUnknown
Book Pagep.1148
Sources
  • - Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri, s.1148
  • - BOA EV.BRT. 43/5, VGMA 185/20/86

Photos

Gallery ready
Kavala, Paleos Xerias Mosque — R.19.226.1-2

Kavala, Paleos Xerias Mosque — R.19.226.1-2

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.19.226.1-2

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 3 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 3, p. 305

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Kavala, Paleos Xerias Mosque — R.19.226.3-4

Kavala, Paleos Xerias Mosque — R.19.226.3-4

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.19.226.3-4

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 3 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 3, p. 306

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Figure references in the book

R.19.226.1-2R.19.226.3-4

Kurudere (Paleos Xerias), a village that belonged to Sarışaban kaza of the Drama liva of the Thessaloniki province during the Ottoman period, is now within the borders of Kavala. It is located 10 km north of Sarışaban. In the Ottoman archives, there is a certificate dated 11/03/1256 (13 May 1840) stating that Davud Khalifa, son of Osman, was appointed as the orator/ khatib of the mosque. The mosque in question has a rectangular plan measuring 10x16 m, stone walls and a wooden roof. After the population exchange, it was converted into a church in 1924 under the name of Aya Yorgi. In this conversion, the windows at the entrance of the mosque and its architecture were changed. The minaret was demolished down to the base and a bell tower was built instead. The windows on the qibla fasade were covered and a door was opened on the west fasade. An iconostasis was added to the interior, but the mahfil left intact. The church in Kurudere, an abandoned village today, was restored in 2020 and is in good condition.

This digital map visualizes data inspired by Mehmet Emin Yılmaz’s three-volume work Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches. The source work was published by YTB Publications (2023) and made accessible through the YTB Digital Culture Platform.

Author reference: Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin).

Built & developed by Cüneyt Kaya in Kornwestheim.