Eğri, Çarşı Câmii

Eger, Bazaar Mosque

Demolished
CountryHungary
CityEğri
Built Year1500
Converted1687
Demolished-
Architect/PatronUnknown
Book Pagep.462
Sources
  • - Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri, s.462
  • - Evliyâ Çelebi 7/146-147, Sudár 2014: 260-261

Photos

Gallery ready
Eger, Bazaar Mosque — R.13.37

Eger, Bazaar Mosque — R.13.37

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.13.37

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 2 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 2, p. 65

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Eger, Bazaar Mosque — R.13.38

Eger, Bazaar Mosque — R.13.38

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.13.38

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 2 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 2, p. 66

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Eger, Bazaar Mosque — R.13.39

Eger, Bazaar Mosque — R.13.39

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.13.39

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 2 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 2, p. 67

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Figure references in the book

R.13.37R.13.38R.13.39

Bazaar Mosque was located in the lower suburb of Egre Castle by the Makla river (Eğri Stream). Evliyâ Çelebi speaks briefly about it as: “Makla river passes by the left side of Bazaar Mosque, it is a mosque that has a very crowded congregation.” With the end of Turkish domination in Egre, Bazaar Mosque was converted into a church by the Austrians on 18 December 1687. It is understood from the plan drawn one year after the Bazaar Mosque was converted into a church that the work was square in plan and probably domed. The apse was added instead of the altar after its conversion into a church. With the flooding of the creek next to the mosque in 1712, the structure was damaged and was repaired between 1715 -17. The present-day Baroque-style Minorite- St. Antuan Church was built in 1758-71 by the architect Killian Dientzenhofer. The church, which was built using the body walls of the Bazaar Mosque, is directly in the direction of the qibla.

This digital map visualizes data inspired by Mehmet Emin Yılmaz’s three-volume work Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches. The source work was published by YTB Publications (2023) and made accessible through the YTB Digital Culture Platform.

Author reference: Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin).

Built & developed by Cüneyt Kaya in Kornwestheim.