Dırama, Yeni Câmi

Drama, Yeni (New) Mosque

Church
CountryGreece
CityDırama
Built Year1845
Converted1927
Demolished-
Architect/PatronOsman Efendi
Book Pagep.982
Sources
  • - Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri, s.982
  • - Ayverdi 4/219, Messis 2021: 214-215

Photos

Gallery ready
Drama, Yeni (New) Mosque — R.19.89

Drama, Yeni (New) Mosque — R.19.89

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.19.89

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 3 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 3, p. 138

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Drama, Yeni (New) Mosque — R.19.90

Drama, Yeni (New) Mosque — R.19.90

Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin)

R.19.90

YTB Digital Culture Platform

Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri 3 / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches 3, p. 138

YTB Publications, 2023

Extracted from the public-access source work on the YTB Digital Culture Platform; used with source and author credit.

Figure references in the book

R.19.89R.19.90

Osman Efendi Mosque was located in the village of Kobalishte (Kokkinogia), 20 km west of Drama. Ayverdi, while reporting on the artifacts in the villages of Drama (Ev.K.K. 736-758 notebooks), states that the mosque is also registered in two separate registers. In VGMA, there is a foundation record dated 12.06.1261 (18.06.1845) as Osman Efendi Câmii in the register numbered 609 on the 80th page of 179-page book. Osman Efendi Mosque was converted into a church under the name of Agios Georgios after the exchange. During this conversion, the narthex of the mosque was closed, an apse was added to the qibla facade and a bell tower was built on the east facade. Until 1975, Osman Efendi Mosque was used as a church until 1975, when it was completely demolished and the present church was built in its place. From the old photographs that have survived from the work; it is understood that it is a simple architectural mosque consisting of a dome covered harim sitting on an octagonal pulley and a two-storey narthex carried by four semicircular arches.

This digital map visualizes data inspired by Mehmet Emin Yılmaz’s three-volume work Kiliseye Çevrilen Türk Eserleri / The Turkish Monuments Converted into Churches. The source work was published by YTB Publications (2023) and made accessible through the YTB Digital Culture Platform.

Author reference: Mehmet Emin Yılmaz (@mimaremin).

Built & developed by Cüneyt Kaya in Kornwestheim.